Extensive list of public resources to help with a variety of concerns, including assistance with finances, employment, food, child care, and housing.

Campus and Community Resources, External Links

General Information and Multi-Service Agencies

Department of Human Services - (517) 887-9400
The DHS provides a wide range of services for Michigan's residents and families, including cash and food assistance programs, child support, medical services, assistance with child care, emergency services, adult and child protection, foster care, and adoption.

The Human Relations and Community Services Department - (517) 483-4477
Pursues local government mandates to cultivate diversity, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination, and address human services needs in the Lansing community. activities include neighborhood dispute mediation, investigation of citizen complaints against police personnel, enforcing prevailing wage laws (local and federal), monitoring City government EEO/Affirmative Action compliance, and participation in community groups addressing a wide range of social concerns.

Cash Assistance

The Family Independence Program(517) 887-9400
The Family Independence Program (FIP) provides cash assistance to families with children and pregnant women to help them pay for living expenses such as rent, heat, utilities, clothing, food and personal care items. They are one program under the umbrella of the Department of Human Services.

MSU Volunteer Tax Assistance (VITA)
VITA is a nonprofit volunteer organization that provides income tax return assistance and preparation at no cost to taxpayers. Student volunteers help low-income individuals and families in the Greater Lansing area complete federal, state, local, and/or foreign tax forms.

Food and Nutrition

The Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) - (517) 355-0921
Provides food and nutrition education to low-income families with children. Instructors, hired from the communities in which they work, teach a series of lessons that include practical skills in planning healthy meals and snacks, budgeting money for food expenses and food safety. They adapt activities to match the skills and interests of participants. Education could be provided to individuals in their homes or to groups of individuals in a community setting.

The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program - (517) 887-4326
A supplemental food and nutrition education program for those women and children who qualify, as nutritionally at risk due to income or medical deficiencies. Income eligibility for WIC is determined under the Federal Guidelines of 185% of poverty. WIC also uses a priority assignment system in order to guarantee service to those with the greatest need for the program. WIC services are available at the Ingham County Health Department. 

Child Care

Finding Childcare
The MSU WorkLife Office has compiled a listing of various organizations and programs set up to assist in the finding of child care. 

MSU Child Care Grant - (517) 353-5940
The MSU Child Care Grant Program provides funds to students with children to assist in meeting the cost of licensed child care during the school year. 

Spartan Child Development Center - (517) 353-5154
The center is dedicated to meeting the needs of children ages two weeks to seven years in an environment that nurtures and guides their individual growth and development. MSU Students who have children enrolled at SCDC may be eligible for reduced fees. 

CACS Head Start - (517) 482-1504
Dedicated to creating a comprehensive, culturally sensitive, nurturing, safe and healthy learning environment in which children, families and staff are inspired to reach their fullest potential. 


Habitat for Humanity of Michigan - (517) 485-1006
More than 200,000 volunteers have been recruited and trained to build houses for people in need in Michigan. Michigan Habitat affiliates have built more than 2,200 Habitat homes, providing more than 10,000 individuals with housing. Michigan affiliates are building homes at the rate of 200 houses annually. 

MSU College of Law Rental Housing Clinic - (517) 336-8088
Provides services to tenants and landlords who have some type of rental property issue. The Clinic offers traditional legal counsel as well as educational programs for tenants and landlords. 

Health Care

Ingham County Health Department - (517) 887-4311

Provides a wide range of health care services to protect and promote the health of Ingham Country Residents. The Health Department has 9 different locations in which they provide direct service to residents. 


Work First - (517) 371-1100
Provides job search services, education and training programs, and employment-related supportive services such as transportation allowances, uniforms, tools, and automobile repairs to families receiving some kind of public assistance

Capital Area Michigan Works! - (517) 492-5500
Offers and facilitates workforce development services to prepare people to become employable, to obtain a job and to progress in their careers. 

Department of Human Services


Visit Website

The Human Relations and Community Service Department


Visit Website

The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program


Visit Website

Financing Childcare

The MSU WorkLife Office has compiled a listing of various organizations and programs set up to assist in the finding of child care.

Visit Website

MSU Child Care Grant


Visit Website

Spartan Child Development Center

517-353-5154 or children@msu.edu

Visit Website

CACS Head Start


Visit Website

Habitat for Humanity of Michigan

517-485-1006 or mrochow@habitatmighican.org

Visit Website

MSU College of Law Housing Clinic


Visit Website

Ingham County Health Department


Visit Website

Work First


Visit Website

Capital Area Michigan Works!


Visit Website

Extended Food and Nutrition Education Program

(517) 355-0921

Visit Website