Assistance with drug and alcohol use and dependency concerns. Help is available.

Campus Resources

MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS)- (517) 355-8270
Any student registered for one or more credits is eligible for a consultation appointment. As resources permit, additional services and/or referrals may be provided. Counseling services are generally available on an appointment basis. Call the Counseling Center to check available times.

MSU Couple and Family Therapy Clinic - (517) 432-2272
The MSU Couple and Family Therapy Clinic is the clinical facility of the Ph.D. specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT). The MFT doctoral specialization at MSU provides the education and training for the professional practice of MFT as a mental health service. All therapy is conducted by MFT doctoral interns under the supervision of clinical faculty. Our mission is to provide therapeutic services for families, couples, and individuals of all ages through a systemic lens. 

The MSU Psychological Clinic- (517) 355-9564 
The MSU Psychological Clinic offers assessment and psychotherapy for adults, children, couples, and families in the Greater Lansing community. The Clinic's goal is to offer high quality services to individuals in the community, including those with limited resources and therefore limited options for mental health care.

MSU Student Health Services (Olin Health Center) - (517) 353-4660
Olin provides medical and dental care for students and their spouses during their enrollment at Michigan State University. They have a good deal of free information available regarding drug and alcohol use. To contact, call number listed above.

MSU's Drug and Alcohol Policy
A link to MSU's policy on drug and alcohol use.

Community Resources

Central Michigan 2-1-1 - (211)
Central Michigan 2-1-1 connects people in need to health and human service resources in the community. Through an easy to remember number, available 24/7, 365 days within 9 counties in Central Michigan. Specialists provide information, referrals, navigation and advocacy when people are looking for help or to give help in the community. 2-1-1 maintains an up-to-date, comprehensive database of resources and programs available.

Child and Family Charities - (517) 882-4000
Services Offered: Adolescent Outpatient, Adolescent Intensive Outpatient, Assessment, Student Assistance Program Screenings, and Family and Youth Outreach Program. Medicaid provider. 

Cristo Rey Community Center (CRCC) - (517) 372-4700
The purpose of (CRCC) is to serve the vulnerable populations within our community by offering need-based services with an emphasis on access to food, medical care and mental health services.

Gateway Youth Services - (517) 882-7217 or (887) 833-3689 

A human service provider offering a wide range of services to families, adolescents, and young adults including: family, group or individual counseling, crisis intervention, parent education and support and emergency shelter. 

Mid-Michigan Recovery Services Inc. (MMRS Inc.) - (517) 887-0226
Mid-Michigan Recovery Services is Mid-Michigan’s Affiliate of the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. We provide assessments, treatment and support services for people experiencing problems with alcohol or other drugs (substance use disorders). Offerings include information, education and treatment on an outpatient, intensive outpatient or long-term residential basis. We also provide Highway Safety Classes for those in need of educational/certification services connected with DUI, DWI as well as an active weekly Support Group for Friends and Families. We serve those with and without insurance. 

  • The Glass House - (517) 887-0226
    A long-term residential program for women with chronic chemical dependency including alcoholism and other drug addictions. This program is part of the continuum of services operated by the National Council on Alcoholism/Lansing Regional Area. 
  • The Holden House - (517) 887-0226
    A long-term residential program for men with chronic chemical dependency including alcoholism and other drug addictions. This program is part of the continuum of services operated by the National Council on Alcoholism/Lansing Regional Area.

Mid-State Health Network (MSHN)- (517) 253-7525
Mid-State Health Network (MSHN) is the coordinating agency for all licensed and funded SUD treatment and prevention programs for our 21 County Region. Services are provided through programs under contract with MSHN.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) -  1-800-662-HELP (4357)

SAMHSA’s National Helpline – 1-800-662-HELP (4357) is a confidential, free, 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year, information service, in English and Spanish, for individuals and family members facing mental and/or substance use disorders. This service provides referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations. Callers can also order free publications and other information. There is a online treatment locator as well. 

Sparrow Intensive Outpatient Substance Abuse Program: Sparrow Intensive Outpatient Substance Abuse Programs offer clients an opportunity to share both emotional and chemical dependency issues in a safe, confidential environment. Referrals for additional services are also available. Contact at (517) 364-7743.

Support Groups 

Alcoholics Anonymous, Lansing Chapter: AA offers free support groups for individuals seeking support in not drinking. Lansing AA Central Office and the website have schedules for AA, Al-Anon, and Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACOA) meetings currently held throughout Clinton, Eaton, and Ingham Counties. Contact the 24 Hour Hotline at (517) 377-1444.

Al-Anon: A support group for friends, family, and partners of individuals with alcohol dependence. Members meet in groups and share their own experience, strength, and hope with each other. Topics focus on problems common to family members and friends of alcohol dependent individuals such as excessive care taking, boundaries, guilt, and shame. Meetings are at no cost, and no appointment is necessary to attend. The link above is to search for a meeting located in your area.

Gamblers Anonymous: GA offers free support groups for individuals seeking support to stop gambling. Meeting formats are either open or closed. Open Meetings refer to meetings where spouses and friends of the G. A. member may also attend. Closed meetings are meetings where only members and those with a gambling problem are eligible to attend and participate. The link above is to search for a meeting located in your area.

Nicotine Anonymous: Nicotine Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women helping each other to live free of nicotine. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using nicotine. There are no dues or fees for Nicotine Anonymous membership; NA is self supporting through our own contributions. Nicotine Anonymous is not allied with any sect, denomination, political entity, organization or institution; does not engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any cause. Click the link above to search for a meeting in your area.

Narcotics Anonymous, Capital Area: Narcotics Anonymous is an international, community-based association of recovering drug addicts. Started in 1947, the NA movement is one of the world's oldest and largest of its type, with nearly twenty thousand weekly meetings in seventy countries. The link above is for the Capital Area NA group, which has several meetings in the area every week.

Smart Recovery® (Self-Management And Recovery Training) helps people recover from all types of addictive behaviors, including: alcoholism, drug use, substance use, drug addiction, alcohol use, gambling addiction, cocaine addiction, and addiction to other substances and activities. SMART Recovery® offers free face-to-face and online mutual help groups. The website provides more information about the group, as well as links to the 300+ face-to-face meetings offered around the world, 16+ online meetings per week and their online message board for additional support. There are several meetings in the area, including in Jackson. Check the website for more information.

Resources specifically for Nicotine Cessation 

The Tobacco Free MSU website has compiled a list of all of the local resources available to help people quit smoking. The list includes campus resources, local resources, and online and national resources. Check out the list here.

Michigan Tobacco Quitline: A free service that provides any interested MSU students with a professional Quit Coach, a personalized quitting strategy, and other resources to help you quit smoking. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) to enroll or to learn more.

Using your MSU Health Insurance Benefits to pay for treatment

If you are interested in getting treatment, you might want to start the process by learning something about how your health care coverage works with substance use treatment.· Call your insurance provider using the customer service number on the back of your health insurance card and ask if substance use treatment is a covered benefit, and find out how to use your insurance for an assessment and treatment services.

If you work at MSU, you can use the information below: 

  • Blue Cross Blue Shield Community Blue Plan (PPO): To contact Community Blue at 1-800-322-4447 or 517-322-4447 to learn more about the kinds of services that this plan offers.· You can visit the MSU Human Resources website to read more about the Community Blue. Finally, if you want to know what providers are covered by your plan, you can visit Community Blue's Provider Search website for more information. 
  • Blue Care Network: To find out about the kinds of substance use help that BCN will cover, you can call Behavioral Health Services at 1-800-482-5982.· You can also visit the MSU Human Resources website to read more about the BCN coverage, or you can download this brochure for more detailed information about your benefits.· If you want to know what providers are covered by BCN, head over to their Physician and Facility Search page for more information.

MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS)


Visit Website

MSU Couple and Family Therapy Clinic

517-432-2272 or

Visit Website

MSU Psychological Clinic


Visit Website

MSU Student Health Services (Olin Health Center, Health Education)


Visit Website

MSU's Drug and Alcohol Policy

Important information regarding MSU's drug and alcohol policies.

Visit Website

The Mid-South Substance Abuse Commission


Visit Website

Child and Family Charities

517-882-4000 or 877-833-3689 (Crisis hotline)

Visit Website

Cristo Rey Community Center (CRCC)


Visit Website

National Council on Alcoholism/Lansing Regional Area (NCA/LRA)


Visit Website

Gateway Youth Services

517-882-7217 or 887-833-3689

Visit Website

Resources and support related to the current MSU crisis